Do you want to give a special gift to the dad in your life this Father's Day? Instead of giving him another tie this year, why not make a unique gift? Father's Day may be a month away, but why not get an early start of an DIY gift. I have gathered 10 gift ideas for Father's Day for every skill level--whether you can sew or crochet or just want a simple craft project.
Clothing and Accessories
|Image via Sew 4 Home|
- Cook's Apron & Matching Hot Mitt from Sew 4 Home: Does the dad in your life like to cook or barbeque? Then he'd probably love a matching apron and hot mitt. I love the grommets on this apron and I think it would look great sewn with canvas fabric.
- Easy Pajama Pants from Simplicity: Who doesn't love a pair of comfy pajama pants? This is a free printable sewing pattern offered by Simplicity. It's in men's, women's and teen sizes (so you can make a pair for yourself when you're done!)
Image via About Goodness
- Men's Flat Cap / Gatsby Hat from About Goodness: How about sewing a new hat for you dad? This Gatsby-inspired hat would make a great gift. Make in a breathable fabric with ventilation holes and it will be great for the warmer summer months.
- Crocheted Mocassins by Umme Yusuf on Ravelry: This multi-sized pattern is availiable as a free download. Crocheted slippers are very comfortable and would make a nice gift. [You must be a member of Ravelry to download the pattern, but it's free and easy to sign up.]
Wallet and Phone Accessories
Image via How About Orange
- Simple Stitched Vinyl Wallet from How About Orange: This simple sewing tutorial shows you how to make a slim bifold wallet with stitched detail outside and two pockets for cards and cash inside.
- Leather iPhone Case from Kojo Designs: What guy wouldn't love a leather case for their phone? This simple tutorial shows you how to hand sew a phone case with a slot for cards or money (no sewing machine required).
Image via Melly Sews
- DIY Armband for Touchscreen Phones from Melly Sews: Does the dad in your life like to run or go to the gym? This sewing tutorial uses clear vinyl to protect your phone screen while still being able to access the screen. For a guy, use black elastic and fabric, or try a masculine print.
For the Beer Drinker
Cozies I made using the tutorial from Evermine. I added a simple crab stitch to finish the top edge.
- Crocheted Drink Cozies: Why not whip up a couple of this quick drink cozies (or koozies, depending on where you're from) so your dad's drink stays cool this summer? I found two different ones: for cans (fits coffee cups too!) from Lion Brand [requires a free sign up to access the pattern] or for bottles from Evermine.
Coasters I made using the tutorial from Post-Grad Crafting
- DIY Beer Coasters from Post-Grad Crafting: I made some of these coasters as gifts last Christmas and the receipents loved them! You will need to collect a few 6-pack boxes to make these coasters, but you can use the contents as a bonus gift for Dad. This tutorial uses inexpensive ceramic tiles, decoupage, and acrylic spray.
Say It with a Card
- iDad Father's Day Card from She Knows: Need a gift for the Dad that has everything? How about a unique, personalized card. This tutorial has a free printable template for making your own iDad card that resembles an iPhone. You can personalize with your own pictures and message.
Happy Early Father's Day to all the dads out there!