- Summer Drape Top from So Sew Easy: This tutorial is written with beginners in mind. It's one size fits most and would be flattering on most body types.
- Strapless Summer Top from Craft Jr.: This tutorial is perfect for beginners. It uses elastic thread to create smocking, but it features step-by-step photos and instructions on how to use it.
Tonic T-shirt from SBCC Patterns: This is a free PDF pattern for a t-shirt for sizes xx-small up to 3x. It's an easy pattern, but the instructions are written assuming you've have some experience sewing with knits. Don't let that stop you, there's lot of resources for sewing with knit fabrics out there. I've made this pattern twice, and love the fit of the it.
Image via Owly Baby on Imaginegnats
- Cuff Shorts from Owly Baby: This is a free shorts pattern available in RTW size 4 only (through it be easy to size up or down a size by adding to or taking in the side seams).
- High-Waisted Shorts from Peppermint Sewing School: These nautical inspired shorts are perfect for summer. It's in Australian sizes 10, 12 and 14 (which is US RTW sizes 6, 8 and 10). Scroll down on the page for the shorts pattern, and while you're there, check out all the other totally free clothing patterns on the page. Must see!
Image via iCandy Handmade
- Everyday Skirt from iCandy Handmade: This is a great project for beginners. It is a printable PDF in size medium, but also has instructions on how to make a custom size. This skirt would be super comfortable to wear all day.
- Bandage Style Knit Skirt from Family Ever After: This tutorial shows you how to make your own pattern for a bandage style knit skirt. It requires cutting several pieces for the skirt, but the result is well worth it. Must see!
Image via Elle Apparel
- Summer Shift Dress from Elle Apparel: Do you have a t-shirt that you absolutely love the fit of? Then use it to make a pattern for a dress you can wear this summer. This tutorial shows you how to draft a pattern from an existing tee to make a very cute and comfortable dress.
- Hi-Lo Dress from Sew Country Chick: This tutorial shows you how to use your own measurements to make a strapless high-low dress. It is simple enough for beginners to make.
- One-Hour Dress from craftstylish: This dress promises to be sewn in just one hour. It uses your own body measurements and 2 yards of interlock knit fabric.
Warmer weather is here and it's time to break out the shorts, tank tops, and dresses. Why not add to your wardrobe this summer by making one of your own unique pieces? I've gathered 10 sewing tutorials great for summer. Most are easy or beginner-friendly. So grab some lightweight fabric from your stash, or hit the fabric store for the latest color and prints, and let's get sewing!
Want more? Check out 10 Free Summer Top Sewing Tutorials.
Tops and tanks
Image via So Sew Easy